Epping Forest Chronology
1801 - 1900 AD
1816 Rector Francis Tutte of Sheering gives
money to provide for educating twelve poor girls of Sheering to read,
spell and sew.
1824 Thomas Leverton dies. The Leverton
Charity School for 20 poor boys and 20 poor girls is established under
the terms of his will.
1837 James Paul Andre paints views of the
1851 New National School for Boys and Girls
built in the Street, Sheering.
1852 Old Market House in Waltham Abbey
1856 Railway comes to Buckhurst Hill; houses
are built on forest and farmland on new roads around the station
1858 The firm of William Cottis and Sons is
founded in Epping. They become famous the world over for the quality
and range of goods, especially agricultural tools, that they make.
1860 Thomas Willingale of Loughton saves the
people there from loosing their lopping rights (to cut and take wood
from the forest). He knew what had happened in Waltham Abbey in 1641
and made sure that everyone left the feast to go and cut wood at
midnight on 11th November to preserve their rights to do so
1861 A new National School with accommodation
for 500 pupils is built in St John’s Road, Epping. An inspector
reported a year later that the buildings were among the best he’d
1865 London to Ongar Railway opens.
1867 The death rate in Epping is the highest
in Essex owing to poor sanitary conditions which allowed diseases such as
cholera and typhoid to spread. Local Doctor Joseph Clegg led the campaign
to improve this, but it took another 20 years before work began
1872 First sewerage works for Waltham Abbey
opened at Town Mead.
1876 Police station opens in Sun Street,
1878 Water pumps for public use installed
around Waltham Abbey.
1882 Queen Victoria visits High Beach and
dedicates Epping Forest to the use and enjoyment of the people.
1888 Mains water comes to Waltham Abbey.
1890 First proper road built between Buckhurst
Hill and Chigwell; previously there was just a track and ford over the
river, which followed the line of Lower Queen’s Road.
1893 The artist Lucien Pissarro lives in
Hemnall Street, Epping and paints this view, called ‘The Garden’.
1895 Diptheria outbreak in Upshire results
in the death of eleven children.
1901 - 2000 AD
1916 Up to 90 bombs dropped around Waltham
Abbey in a Zeppelin raid on 2 April.
1917 Copped Hall gutted by fire. Only the
shell of the building remains.
1923 Waltham Abbey Fire Brigade purchase
their first motorised fire engine.
1935 Private airfield opened at Abridge,
later taken over by the RAF in the Second World War.
1939 Upshire School opens.
1945 V2 Rocket falls on Highbridge Street on
7 March. Five people were killed, the first civilian casualties of the
Second World War in Waltham Abbey.
1945 New housing estate begins to be built in
Debden by London County Council.
1951 Electricity supply laid to Bobbingworth.
1952 Quaker Lane Schools in Waltham Abbey
reorganised as King Harold Secondary School and Waltham Holy Cross Primary
1958 A new county primary school opens in Hyde
1968 Waltham Holy Cross Primary School moves
from Quaker Lane to Quendon Drive. Last funfair held in Waltham Abbey
after nearly 800 years.
1971 Leverton School opens in Honey Lane.
1977 Cattle Market in Romelands, Waltham Abbey
closes for the last time.
1980 M11 London to Cambridge motorway completed,
cutting the District in half.
1981 Epping Forest District Museum opens at
39 - 41 Sun Street, Waltham Abbey.
1984 Epping Forest District Council
plant a line of trees across the District to commemorate the 100th anniversary
of the Meridian Line (zero degrees longitude).
1993 Mosaic trail installed in Waltham Abbey
from the museum, via the Abbey Church to Lea Valley Park.
1999 At midnight, a beacon designed by the
pupils of King Harold School is lit to celebrate the new millennium.