Epping Forest District Museum Local History Website
Home  |  About  |  Contact

Nazeing

Fragments of Iron Age pots Nazeing All Saints Churchfound in
Nazeing show that people have lived
here for more than 2000 years.  Vikings
sailed up the River Lea and attacked
Nazeing around 870 AD.  Anglo Saxon
metalworking tools found here and 
known as the Nazeing Hoard are on
display in the Epping Forest District
Museum.  Roydon's local pub is called
"The Crusader" because in 1205, the
Order of the Knights Templar were granted the Manor of Roydon during their crusades. The local primary schools are Nazeing Primary School and Roydon Primary School.

For the Nazeing Resource Bank click here
For a more detailed history of Nazeing click here and for Roydon click here

This photograph from the Epping Forest District Museum collection shows All Saints Church in Nazeing.


Search by Timeline
Search by Theme
© Copyright 2017 Epping Forest District Museum  |  Developed by Boson Media