Epping Forest District Museum Local History Website
Home  |  About  |  Contact

North Weald Bassett

Weald means forest land, and in North Weald Kings Head
1086 at the time of the Domesday
Survey, this was one of the most
thickly wooded parts of Essex. 
'Bassett' was added when the manor
was granted to Philip Bassett in 1267. 
The airfield was established in 1917.
Fighter planes that defended London
during the Battle of Britain in 1940
flew from here. The local school is
St Andrew's C of E Primary School.

For the North Weald Resource Bank click here
For a more detailed history of North Weald Bassett click here

This photograph from the Epping Forest District Museum collection shows the Kings Head pub which still stands on the High Road today.


Search by Timeline
Search by Theme
© Copyright 2017 Epping Forest District Museum  |  Developed by Boson Media